Friday, September 13, 2013

The First Words of Jesus

We talk a lot about the last words of an ifluencial man or woman. Surely the very last words spoken from the mouth of a dying person must count as some of the most notable, most vital they ever spoke.

But what about someone's first words?

When we think of the first words Jesus will speak to us when we enter His kingdom of heaven, many of us long to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant"... The words that Jesus spoke* to the faithful
servant who had invested his Master's talents, instead of hoarding them.

But those words were spoken to one.

What "first words" will Jesus speak to many? Those can be found later in the very same chapter of the Bible...**
"... Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
These fortunate souls will be confused at Jesus' words, and respond this way...
"Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?"
Imagine Jesus cupping His beloved's face in His hands, and speaking these gentle, life-changing words...
"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers or sisters of mine, you did for me.
Have you fed a hungry person lately?

Have you given someone a much-needed drink of water?

Have you invited the stranger, the alien into your home? Your church? Your community?

Have clothed a naked person?

Have you cared for a sick person?

Have you visited someone in prison?

Have you been close enough to a person or child in need to touch him or her? To speak encouraging words to him or her? To cup his or her face in your hands?

If you have done any of these things to one considered "the least of these" -- you have done well.

And you've done it for Jesus.




* Matthew 25:21
** Matthew 25: 34-40


No comments:

Post a Comment