Sunday, April 7, 2013

Praying for two Orphan Advocates: Rick and Kay Warren


Yesterday, my heart broke for Pastor Rick and Kay Warren, leaders of Saddleback Church in California. I've followed Rick's ministry ever since I read his book Purpose Driven Church, the year before my husband Anthony and I answered the call to full-time ministry. Yes, that was even before the amazingly popular Purpose Driven Life.

Rick and Kay are Bible-teachers, evangelists and encouragers of those of us trying to walk this faith-in-Jesus thing out.

They are also serious orphan advocates.

I love their hearts. But today my heart breaks for their hearts.

On Friday, after a life-long struggle with mental illness and severe depression, their son Matthew took his own life.

Matthew Warren


Rick's own words about this loss:
"No words can express the anguished grief we feel right now. He had a brilliant intellect and a gift for sensing who was most in pain or most uncomfortable in a room. He'd then make a bee-line to that person to engage and encourage them."
I would have loved to have met such a beautiful person. I look forward to meeting him in heaven some day.

Let's reach out to hurting people while we still have time. We'll never know the difference it might make.

Love,

Carla

Your turn:

Please pray for the Warren family and for their loss. Feel free to share your thoughts here about Matthew or his parents, Rick and Kay.

No comments:

Post a Comment