Friday, April 5, 2013

Less Like Toni Morrison, More Like Jesus

On Tuesday I finally -- after resisting for months -- began this new blog. Creating Caring For Orphans felt exciting, exhilarating, empowering.

And then Wednesday rolled around, and I felt unmotivated, uninspired, and unmoved. I thought, "Okay, what now?" I had no idea what to write next.

Me, the adoption guru. The adoption zealot. The adoption know-it-all.

I, for once in my life, was at a loss for words.

And yet, I don't think my writer's block came from a lack of something to say. I think I was overwhelmed with SO MUCH that could be said. The areas of adoption, foster care and orphan care ministry are so vast -- where do I begin?

Where do we go from here?

Well, over the next weeks and months, I'll be sharing whatever is on my heart at that particular time. Sometimes I'll share personal thoughts surrounding adoption. Other times I'll give practical advice for adoptive parents or for those contemplating adoption. Many times I'll link adoption to something going on in the culture, because you know, adoption is ALL around us.

But today, if you'd allow me to get a little personal, I'd like to share about my mission and calling.

You see, not long ago, my heart was filled with a completely different set of goals and desires. I wanted to be Toni Morrison. Well, not Toni Morrison exactly, but I wanted to be an acclaimed writer like her. I wanted to write amazing, captivating fiction like Toni writes. I wanted to change the world, one word at a time.

Then I realized God had a different plan.

Oh, I still felt called to write. I still hoped to even publish a book one day. But I'd experienced a complete paradigm shift.

I felt a pull to use my writing -- and now speaking -- to share about what I'm most passionate about. I felt called to share about the need for Christians to open their hearts and homes to children that need a mommy and a daddy. I felt called to encourage Christians to open their wallets and Coach bags to assist adoptions and fund nonprofits dedicated to orphan care.

And since I accepted that calling, God has opened up a whole new world.

I'm still not sure where He's taking me, but I'm looking forward to a crazy ride.

The moral of this story: we must ALL consider laying down our desires in order to pursue God's desires. Even better than that -- the believer's heart desires should be so intertwined with God's that we can hardly tell where His end and ours begin.

That's my desire.

So my writings might not ever resemble Toni Morrison's, but hopefully my life resembles my Savior's.

What about yours?

Living for Him,

Carla


Your Turn:

Have you ever had to lay down your heart's desires and dreams to pursue God and His calling for your life? Tell me about it here!

2 comments:

  1. thanks so much for sharing your heart. you are an inspiration to me, personally. may God continue to expand your journey, so others may be blessed and encouraged to be God chasers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DaniJewell thanks for your comment! Keep reading for some more practical information surrounding adoption. Glad I could encourage you, fellow God-chaser!

      Delete