Friday, April 26, 2013

Top Reasons People DON'T Adopt: Take 3



Why do many people never consider adoption? The reasons are many.

I. They don't believe they can love an adopted child like a biological one.

II. They don't know what they're going to get.

And drum roll for numero tres...



III. Adoption is so doggone expensive!

Reason #3 is probably the reason I've heard more often than any other. 

Here's a common scenario: An eager would-be adoptive parent breaks out of the starting gate researching adoption through several sources: the internet, stacks of books from the library and the bookstore and through social media.

And of course, they interview other people that have already adopted children.

Before adopting my son Christian, my husband Anthony and I did all this. (Well, except the social media step. I didn't know what social media was back in 2002!)

And I also remember the night that Anthony and I sat in our first informational meeting at Children's Hope International in Brentwood, Tennessee. The agency director had explained the general process of international adoption and answered a few questions. She'd also slipped a picture of a gorgeous 2-year-old Christian into my lap, causing me to miss much of what she said that evening.

I was so sure we were supposed to adopt this little boy from Russia.

And then the inevitable happened.

She began to discuss their adoption fees, and it was all downhill from there.

My husband says to this day that once he heard the bottom line cost of a Russian adoption, he just knew this adoption couldn't possibly be God's will!

Thank God we had sense enough to move beyond our emotions to a place of prayer and fasting, during which time the Lord clearly told us to move forward to adopt Christian.

Bottom line: I totally get the "sticker shock" people feel over adoption fees.

It's understandable when research shows that adoption can cost anywhere from $5000 to $50,000*.


The U.S. and international adoption process can be quite complex, with many factors to consider. There are medical fees for the birth mother, attorney fees and adoption agency staff salaries. Oftentimes, there are travel costs to tally up as well.


This is no small investment.

And yet, I have yet to meet an adoptive parent who says it wasn't worth it.

But there is help for those venturing into the complicated terrains of adoption. Just googling the words "funding an adoption" provides several links to websites dedicated to helping people find ways to pay for their adoptions.

There are grants created solely for adoptions. Many corporations provide their employees with matching grants. Some churches provide financial gifts towards members' adoptions. And of course there are many, many creative ways to save for and raise adoption fees - like yard sales, benefit concerts and online small businesses.

The major question, however, is not "How can I afford an adoption?"

The real question is, "Am I really called to adopt?"

Because, ultimately, anything God calls me to do, He's going to make it happen.

Even when I don't have enough money sitting in the bank.

After all, He's "able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine."**

Knowing that, I ask, could He possibly provide the monies you need to adopt a child?

He did for me.

And of course, He can do if for you too.

Carla


* Please note that adoption through your state's foster care system requires little, and sometimes almost no cost at all. This is a wonderful option for families willing to consider children with more special needs and older children. And there is a huge need for families like this in every state.

** Ephesians 3:20

No comments:

Post a Comment